[q2x] DORIS

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Sat Apr 10 23:43:59 EDT 2004

> I think these can all be retrofitted fairly trivially, however it's
> all in stuff that Nick Doesn't Control, so I'm not sure the best
> way to attack this.

Been looking at the source some more, and I could see hacking on GLUI
to get it up to snuff, including some fairly major architectural
changes (internally).

The primary change I'd want to do first is separate control logic from
presentation.  For example, a GLUI_button is what does the rendering
and handles the control, but that's a pretty archaic way of doing
things.  Instead, there should be a class hierarchy something like:

GLUI_Control -> GLUI_button
GLUI_visrep -> GLUI_button_visrep

(Or whatever)

Each control then has a pointer to a visrep in order to swap out
appearances.  This makes theming possible without trashing an app's
code, and adding new kinds of button representations (like bitmap
buttons) becomes trivial.

Oh, and there is, in fact, a mouseover function, so tooltips should be
reasonably easy to put in.

The question is: exactly how active is GLUI development?  If it's
ongoing (and from what I can tell...it's not), then it might be best
to just use GLUI as is.

If development is dead, I don't see any particular reason not to pick
up the ball and run with it.

Brian