[q2x] Refactorization

Brian Hook hook_l at pyrogon.com
Sun Nov 9 19:28:55 EST 2003

> Python is dynamically typed as well as Lua, but I think Ruby is
> statically typed. I've programmed a lot more Python than Lua and
> I've never missed static typing. It doesn't affect scalability and
> its a less hassle.

The problem is that you can't make a method that takes "two objects of
type X" and have the compiler catch this (at least, I believe you
can't do this in Lua).  Without this feature, it's entirely too easy
to accidentally pass parameters of the wrong type to a function.

Where this becomes a problem is when you have projects with lots of
programmers and someone forgets/doesn't realize that you need to use
certain types in a particular method.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of hardcore static type checking,
but it is useful in some areas.  My preference is something like
Obj-C, which has both.

Brian