[q2x] Alive

Dan Olson theoddone33 at linuxgames.com
Fri Aug 8 00:30:50 EDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 09:21:20PM -0700, Nick Trout wrote:
> > I'm also looking at a new scripting language, Io (www.iolanguage.com),
> > that has some attributes that are a bit nicer than Lua's.
>
> Mmmm, that does look quite interesting. Would you support Lua as well? I
> was hoping that q2x would develop into a Lua tutorial type project. What
> do you see as the main advantages of using Io over Lua?

Object orientation and exception handling seem advantageous.  Lua is a
little more mature and stable.  I think it will be a while until Io is
stable enough to use in any project.  Io is also more of a brain shift
than Lua to a modder coming at this from a QuakeC or C++ background.

I'd like to stick with Lua for now, but keep a close eye on Io as it
progresses.

Io has a lot of little things (like built-in concurrency with auto
deadlock detection) that could turn out to be very helpful once it
becomes stable enough to run its own example code.

--
Dan Olson