[pyddr-discuss] Juddery arrows

Dave Dodge dododge at dododge.net
Tue Jul 27 12:58:04 EDT 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 12:21:23AM +0100, Dave Wilson wrote:
> I'm using pydance under debian testing, and while it all works - and for
> the most part pretty smoothly - there is a regular judder to the arrows.
> They scroll perfectly smoothly for maybe half a second, then stop for a
> split second before resuming.

Suggestion: take a look at your desktop configuration.  If you've got
a desktop pager that displays small images of your window contents,
that's probably hitting the CPU and briefly locking the X server every
second in order to read the screen contents.

Another possibility would be an automatic volume mounter that polls
the system for new CDs, USB devices, or whatever.  Again, this is
usually a desktop environment thing.

If you can figure out how to do it on your system, try logging in
without starting a heavyweight desktop (for example use bare twm
rather than KDE or Gnome) and see if it makes a difference.

                                                  -Dave Dodge