Juddery arrows

Dave Wilson dave.wilson at heanet.ie
Mon Jul 26 19:21:23 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm using pydance under debian testing, and while it all works - and for the
most part pretty smoothly - there is a regular judder to the arrows. They
scroll perfectly smoothly for maybe half a second, then stop for a split
second before resuming.

I'm not sure where to go with this, as it's clearly not plain CPU-bound
performance problems. I'm using kernel 2.6.7, pydance 1.0.2, xfree-4.3.0,
python-2.3.4 and psyco 1.2. The video card is an NVidia-based Abit Siluro
Geforce MX 200. I've tried 24 and 16 bit colour.

I've tried using both the regular "nv" XFree86 driver and the binary nvidia
driver, and both exhibit the same problems (though the binary driver is
clearly working - tuxracer runs smooth as anything.) :) I've also tried
reducing the number of processes running on the machine to a bare minimum;
there is nothing that's obviously hogging the CPU at regular intervals.

Does anyone else encounter this? Is it an expected result? Anyone been able to
remove it?

Best regards,
Dave