[pyddr-discuss] audio plays back too fast on certain hardware

Joe Wreschnig piman at debian.org
Tue Feb 10 01:20:45 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 23:43, Dave Dodge wrote:
> probably due to a mismatch between the audio file and the hardware
> output rate.
>
> When I built and tested 0.9.0 this weekend I was using an old P3-500
> with an SBLive card, and it worked okay.
>
> I moved the drives to a much faster Athlon system, but which has VIA
> audio on the motherboard. Pydance runs arrows at the normal
> speed, but the audio comes out too fast and gets farther and farther
> ahead of the arrows as the song proceeds.
>
> This happens for both mp3 and ogg files. Even the music pydance plays
> while loading files at startup is noticably higher in pitch than it
> ought to be. xmms on the same system plays back the same files
> correctly.
>
> Now, I notice that mpg123 and ogg123 can't play back at all. They give
> errors such as:
>
>   libao - OSS cannot set rate to 44100

Are you still using OSS, or are you using the ALSA OSS compatibility
layer? I've no interest in supporting OSS (and haven't, well, ever),
especially now that it's totally deprecated. ALSA runs my onboard audio
(Intel AC97-based card) correctly in 2.4 and 2.6, with or without the
OSS compat layer.

If you are running ALSA, but SDL is using the compat layer, try using
export SDL_AUDIODRIVER="alsa" before running pydance.

If you set 'onboardaudio 1' in your configuration file, that might fix
it too (in the sense that it makes the arrows go faster).

Really, this resampling is the domain of your hardware driver, or at
best the OS's standard audio interface. In Linux, those two are
basically the same thing at this point (ALSA). I think aRts might also
have intermediate resampling abilities, but I've not used it since like
1998 or '99.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman at debian.org>