[pyddr-discuss] Problems running pydance

Joe Wreschnig piman at debian.org
Tue Nov 4 22:46:42 EST 2003

Hi,

As Stephen said, this seems to be a very old version of Python. I've
updated the setup.py script a few days ago in order to fix some other
problems, which in the process seems to have fixed the detection bug.

pydance will not support Python 1.5; if anything, I've been migrating
more 1/0 values to True/False because they're not identical in Python
2.3. In addition, Python 1.5 lacks new-style objects, and dozens of
standard library features that pydance uses. At the moment, Python 2.2
is necessary to run pydance, and this may be increasing to Python 2.3 in
a few months.

I don't know where to find Python 2.2/2.3 packages for Red Hat 7.2, if
such things exist. I suggest getting apt4rpm, which I imagine will make
upgrading Red Hat easier. Any Red Hat users on the list, feel free to
chime in with URLs for new Python versions.
--
Joe Wreschnig <wres0003 at umn.edu>