[pyddr-discuss] About dancemat

dododge at smart.net dododge at smart.net
Mon Jul 21 22:45:00 EDT 2003

Just FYI...

> metal is good. building yourself becomes more and more
> "lustworthy" after you play a lot.

Building your own is not very difficult, though it can be
time-consuming depending on how much detail you want to put into it.
Some experience with very basic electronics, use of a soldering iron,
and woodworking tools will help. The result though is terrific: a pad
that responds well, doesn't break or wear out easily, and that you can
fix yourself if any problems do occur.

One downside: the results can be heavy (my six-button pad is 60
pounds) and awkward to move around. For my [future] doubles set I've
been thinking about a collapsible design that might actually fit in my
car :-)

You can find tons of information and existing designs in this ongoing
discussion thread:

  http://www.ddrfreak.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=59254