[pyddr-discuss] Weapons

Joe Wreschnig piman at debian.org
Mon Jul 14 05:37:16 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-14 at 04:18, Lasse Birk Olesen wrote:
> Has anyone thought of implementing weapons into PyDDR (now PyDance)?
>
> Weapons could be achieved by completing a sequence of moves, coming from the
> bottom screen just like any other move, but which is not a part of the
> actual song.
> To fire your weapon, you should complete another sequence of move at any
> time.
>
> Weapon ideas could be: Speed up for 10 seconds, increase diffuculty for 10
> seconds and so on.

What you describe has been implemented, basically, in DDR Disney Rave
(Japanese PSX). If your combo gets sufficiently high, various "attacks",
based on your character choice, happen to your opponent. Most people I
talk to don't like it. I don't particularly like it either. One nice
thing about dancing games is that you can play competitively, but it
never turns into a "fight". Also, at least in DDRDR, it's incredibly
unbalanced. If your opponent pulls one more perfect than you and gets
off sudden + hidden, you're boned for the rest of the game.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman at debian.org>