[pyddr-discuss] SDL_ttf render failed

Joe Wreschnig piman at debian.org
Sun Dec 21 18:17:19 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 12:44, Jonathan Doughty wrote:
> I'm trying to get pydance working on a Redhat 9.0
> system.  When I try to start I'm getting :

> > Traceback (most recent call last):
> > File "/opt/local/games/pydance", line 130, in ?
> > if __name__ == '__main__': main()
> > File "/opt/local/games/pydance", line 96, in main
> > fileparsers.SongItem, (False,))
> > File "/opt/local/games/pydance", line 40, in
> load_files
> > pbar = fontfx.TextProgress(FONTS[60], message,
> colors.WHITE, colors.BLACK)
> > File
> "/opt/local/games/../share/games/pydance/fontfx.py",
> line 112, in __init__
> > self.text = font.render(message, 0, (255,0,0),
> self.notcolor)
> > pygame.error: SDL_ttf render failed
>

> Googling around, I'm seeing indications that the
> SDL_ttf error is a result of an incompatibility in the
> freetype rpm that comes with RH 9.0: freetype-2.1.3-6.
>  (The http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_ttf/ page
> says "The latest stable release of SDL 1.2, FreeType
> 2.0 or newer (except FreeType 2.1.3")) and some other
> mailing list submissions suggest 2.1.3 is a problem.)

Thanks for figuring this out; someone in #pyddr was having a similar
problem today, and I didn't know the cause. However, he was running
Fedora Core 1, rather than RH 9. His problem was fixed by recompiling
the SDL_ttf SRPM on the SDL_ttf homepage.

> I've tried upgrading to the freetype 2.1.4 rpms that
> are part of Fedora 1, but the same error occurs.  I
> started to attempt to downgrade the freetype 2.1.2
> rpms that are part of Redhat 8.0, but there are other
> RH 9.0 RPMs that are dependent on freetype versions >=
> 2.1.3 (XFree86-libs being the one that gives the
> greatest concern.)

Under Debian, Pydance works with Freetype 2.1.7, so upgrading past 2.1.3
should work okay. Try the suggestion above.

> (FWIW, before I
> downloaded and installed those in ~/.pydance/songs I'd
> get the initial window saying I "You don't have any
> songs ..." and I'd get working audio.

It only seems to happen rendering non-AA fonts. We use AA fonts pretty
much everywhere but the "Loading NNN songs..." bar.

> Am I on the right track with freetype / SDL_ttf being
> the issue or is there something else that accounts for
> this problem?
>
> Is this a pydance issue is it just a pygame problem?

My best guess is, a RH9 / Fedora problem. It might be a Freetype or
SDL_ttf problem.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman at debian.org>