[pyddr-devel] gettext patch 6

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Tue Feb 19 03:40:50 EST 2008

Hello,

On Feb/18/2008, Pavel N. Krivitsky wrote:
> Hello, Carles,
>
> > > Is there a way to test this without installing the patched pydance?
> > > (That is, by just running it from the source directory.)
> >
> > Don't do the make install, but then do:
> > cd po
> > msgfmt ca.po
> > cp -f ca.mo /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/pydance.mo
>
> Thanks. What about without installing pydance.mo to /usr/share? Is there
> a way to a directory it searches?

I should take a look, but the standard way use gettext translations is
in /usr/share/locale (all programs searches there, and as far as I know
the only way to use the translations is copying the file there)

It's not only about translations, it's also about internationalization
(this is the reason that you need locales made for your system). I only
provide /usr/share/locale directory to gettext and then gettext
determines ca/LC_MESSAGES/pydance.mo

Anyway, tonight (in 12 hours here) I can try to use the translation from
current directory managing to create mo/ca/LC_MESSAGES structure... it
should work. But I don't know if it's worth.

(In standard python gettext API I don't see any easy way to specify the
.mo file, I only see how to specify the /usr/share/locale or some
directory where to search the .mo files)

--
Carles Pina i Estany		GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
	http://pinux.info	Manresa - Barcelona