[pyddr-devel] gettext patch 6

Carles Pina i Estany carles at pina.cat
Mon Feb 18 18:12:06 EST 2008

Hello Pavel and list,

On Feb/18/2008, Pavel N. Krivitsky wrote:

> Thank you very much for your contribution, and sorry about the slow
> response. I've applied it, and it looks like it doesn't break the
> default locale.

Ok, good that doesn't breake default locale :-)

> A few notes:
> 1) The patch doesn't include the binary files, by the way, so could you
> send those as well?

Yes, I send you... but it's a fast test, I should improve it :-)
Anyway, you can add this "test" to the SVN or just nothing by the moment
(then it uses the go.png and ready.png)

> 2) Could you point me to instructions on how to install and run the
> patched pydance in a specified locale so that I could test the
> internationalization?

Yes of course*. I explain using my Debian files/paths:

1.- In /etc/locale.gen: add (or uncomment) ca_ES at euro ISO-8859-15

2.- Execute locale-gen

3.- In pydance directory (after apply the patch): ./setup.py; make install
Check that make install has done it:
cp -f ca.mo /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/pydance.mo

4.- Then execute (this sould work):
LANGUAGE=ca_ES at euro /usr/local/games/pydance

Could you confirm if it works?

Warning! I send attached a new patch (gettext8.patch.gz).

Comment: This patch includes two things: i18n support and catalan
translation. i18n should be mainly completed. Catalan translation too,
but it needs some testing because some strings doesn't fit very well (we
will think some shorter strings). But I think that what we have, in
Catalan, is better than before :) (completely playable).

*: this easy question took me some time to discover why I couldn't go
back to English language! The reason is that in
/usr/lib/python2.5/gettext.py, gettext module scans the content of
LANGUAGE, LC_ALL, LC_MESSAGE and LANG environment variables, not only
LANGUAGE like C gettext (!!).

--
Carles Pina i Estany		GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
	http://pinux.info	Manresa - Barcelona