AVI files possibly crashing pydance

William Hilton wmhilton at gmail.com
Fri May 4 21:23:20 EDT 2007

Hi! I absolutely love pydance and think it's a great program. I use to play
it on my old computer, but when I migrated to a laptop, it started crashing
frequently when browsing songs. At first I thought it was because the songs
were .mp3, but converting them to .ogg didn't help. So I ran pydance from
the terminal to see if it provided any output. (I should have done that in
the first place I guess!)

File "/usr/share/games/pydance/interface.py", line 33, in load_banner
banner = pygame.image.load(filename)
pygame.error: Unsupported image format

Some of the folders had songs referencing .avi files (I guess StepMania
supports animated backgrounds; I think they're distracting.) Deleting the
AVI's fixed the frequent crashes when browsing songs in those folders. I
thought you ought to mention that "AVI files might cause trouble, so if you
are having crashes, delete them" on the FAQ page. (I "cd" to the folder
causing trouble and ran "find -type f -name *.avi -delete") Oddly, not all
AVI's appear to cause trouble - there's another folder that has AVI's but
doesn't seem to cause crashes. I didn't poke around deep enough to determine
exactly which AVI files were causing trouble, however.

There were some other errors on loading, mostly along the line of "E: list
index out of range". I'll attach a copy of the standard output.

--William Hilton