[pyddr-devel] Level an Difficulty sorting in songselect

Pavel N. Krivitsky pavel at krivitsky.name
Sun Feb 4 03:59:38 EST 2007

Hi, Frank,

Sorry for the slow reply. I've been busy.

The whole issue with not being able to use the "level" or "difficulty"
sorting modes when folders are turned off got me thinking --- it's
really intuitive to be able to scroll down to get more difficult steps
and scroll up to get easier steps. Also, even with folders, there are
official steps like "Daikenai" that have multiple levels with the same
difficulties.

Something I think we could do instead is have each song-difficulty
combination be a separate entry in the song list, when the sort mode is
"difficulty" or "level". So, without folders, there would be several
entries for each song, each one with just one difficulty. If we want to
get really fancy, pressing LEFT or RIGHT (to change the difficulty) will
move the cursor to the entry with that difficulty.

While we are at it, we could try implementing "virtual folders" as in
the TODO file:

   (Pavel) piman: By the way, here is a feature idea: have a menu that
           controls which songs are displayed on the list. E.g. "don't
           display any songs that don't have steps with difficulty less
           than 6", or something like that.

   A good way to do this would be something like Evolution's vFolders
   that let you search for arbitrary criteria. It would also fit okay
   into the pydance UI ("New Folder", "Add Criteria"...) and current
   song selector.

   This would require arbitrary nesting of subfolders, maybe.

   (Pavel) piman: Makes sense... So an interesting possibility might be
           to have folders nested to a depth of 3 or so, with top-level
           folders being what "S" key does right now.

It shouldn't be too difficult. It would require 3 steps:
1) Modify SongItemDisplay to accommodate only displaying a subset of
steps available for that song in a particular list entry.
2) Abstract the songlist display UI from the songlist generation: the UI
should essentially "walk" a tree of folders and songs given to it.
3) Write a routine to generate said "tree".

                                      Any thoughts/comments?
                                      Pavel