Player-as-object, Endless mode, really bad bug

Joe Wreschnig piman at debian.org
Sat May 10 22:21:05 EDT 2003

Uh, let's see, a summary of the CVS commits over the past couple days:

Big stuff:
 - Player is now an object. Its instantiation has been moved to the
playSequence function, which means that we can ditch crazy stuff like
megajudge (and eventually munch, but when I tried to do that earlier
weird stuff happened).
 - Brendan and I converted all the .wavs to .oggs, reducing pyDDR's size
considerably (1.9MB fresh checkout). This does require at least
SDL_mixer 1.2.5 though.

New features:
 - The new song selector now supports page up/page down.
 - Endless mode is now supported, with levels chosen randomly by
difficulty name or rating. This was mostly a "If I can do this easily, I
refactored the player object correctly" test, that also happened to
implement something fun. It adds one new source file and a new
background (which undoubtedly needs graphical work). The method I used
is really clever (IMO), and is a good example of why we're using a
dynamic language instead of C. :)

Minor crap:
 - Minor code shuffling refactors (color-related functions, mostly)
 - dance now returns a boolean indicating if the song was failed or not,
instead of the old player state crap. This means we don't even bother
 - dwi2step no longer mangles filenames by lowercasing them. This was
probably a feature at some point, but most DWIs I find now are good
about that kind of stuff.
 - At some point I'll finish this definition of the new file format's
grammar and add that, too.
 - Lots of small, rarely-occurring bug fixes.

BUG:
Apparently, there's some arrow counting bug - turn on two player, play
one of them, and check the arrow counts at the end (go to 24 bit color
to slow it down if you have to). Apparently some arrows are getting
dropped and not counted as misses, which really shouldn't happen since
we do everything linearly. I looked at the code, but it wasn't
immediately obvious to me, and I needed to finish player-related stuff.
This has been there since at least before 0.6.1, and probably earlier.

I'd like to get this fixed as soon as possible, because I have a feeling
that it's related to the BPM change dropping arrows bug that a lot of
people have been seeing.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman at debian.org>