Major updates - possible checkin?

Joe Wreschnig piman at debian.org
Sun Apr 13 02:49:21 EDT 2003

I've got a version of pyDDR working with my new menus/menudriver/input
modules that I've been writing. A test tarball is available from
http://people.debian.org/~piman/pyddr-test.tar.gz . The classes I added
(menus, input) are decently documented in comments, so you should be
able to figure out what's going on.

Changes:
 - All input is filtered through input.py, which also tracks hold
states.
 - Menus are gone from pyddr.py and in menus.py (generic) and
menudriver.py (pyddr-specific).
 - A lot of stuff originally declared at the top of pyddr.py is in the
new constants.py, which is a set of sorta-global variables (config file,
input manager rc_path (formerly rscdir)).
  - *NOTE* the input manager is currently named 'event', so you can't
name other variables that and expect to use it. I changed existing uses
of the 'event' variable name to 'ev'.

Features that don't exist anymore:
 - Joysticks are only detected by hardcoded checks; joy_*/mat_* are gone
 - Keybindings are only dvorak/qwerty and "reverse" ones (p1<->p2 keys)

I don't think either of these are a big deal.

Things that still need to be done:
 - The new input system needs to be modified to store state differently
so we can have more than two players. I have some ideas about this and
I'll probably get started on them after I get the rest of this checked
in.
 - The holdkey code can probably be significantly cleaned up with the
input module monitoring hold states. Right now I'm fudging it with a
hash lookup, but we can do this a *lot* more cleanly. Player-as-object
patch is probably helpful here, too.
 - Related to this this but not exclusive, we need a reliable way to
switch between fullscreen and not fullscreen. It has to be done anywhere
'F' can be pressed, plus the fullscreen menu option, plus on startup.

If I don't get any comments one way or the other, I will probably check
this in Sunday night. P2E, if you decide to apply that
sort-by-popularity patch, could you hold off until after then? It should
be a lot easier to adapt that to this than the other way around.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman at debian.org>