[psychonauts] 0.4 patch...

Yamagi Burmeister lists at yamagi.org
Mon Jul 16 11:50:29 EDT 2012

Hello

First let me say sorry for top posting, but I wasn't subscripted to
list before and had no mail to reply to.

Last weekend I gave the 0.4 patch a try I played for about 6 hours on
FreeBSD with the "Linuxulator" linux binary compatiblity module. The
game runs now stable, not a single crash at the whole time. The dialog
lags are gone too.

Of course, there are some problems remaining. All of these have open
bug reports, therefor just a small list without any description. But
further information can be provided if necessary:
- There are rendering problem, most likely buggy shaders. For example
  the whole screen is "blurred" after picking up a brain. The only way
  to get correct rendering back is to load a new level. In "Waterloo
  word the textures of the gameboard (when at the deepest level) are
  unsharp and blurry when Raz is _not_ levitating.
- Sometimes a single sound sample or even a part of a sample(?) is
  repeated over and over again, resulting in strange clicking noises.
  This can be solved by opening the menu.
- The health bar isn't updated, while the game logic knows the correct
  health value. This is very annoying and it would be really nice if
  it could be fixed with the next patch.

Another "problem" is, that in the FreeBSD Linuxulator the game stays at
startup for about 3 minutes just there with a black screen and does
nothing. Like it's waiting for some timeout. I'm pretty sure that's a
problem of the Linuxulator and not the game, but nevertheless I wanted
to report this. I'm not requesting a fix, because FreeBSD is not a
supported platform and the Linuxulator has some drawbacks and flaws.
And without seeing the source of the game (which is impossible) it's
next to impossible to track this problem down...

Thank you very much for bringing this wonderfull game to Linux,
  Yamagi

--
Homepage:  www.yamagi.org
XMPP:      yamagi at yamagi.org