[prey] installing prey

Peter Borgmann piborg at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 13:40:57 EST 2008

ard schrieb:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 08:13:39AM -0700, Cory Jon Hollingsworth wrote:
>
>> Yeah.  It is sort of like a statically skip.  When I tried the demo I had
>> perfect sound as well.
>>

> The first demo used whatever SDL used, and that defaulted to OSS.
> The *second* demo uses alsa as default, which made it crackle.
> Hmmm, maybe that's what I forgot to report :-(.
> Saying to SDL that it should use oss should make it uncrackle.

I ran into the same problem, but my solution was quite the opposite.
Some people reported this crackling sound issue with the demo and so
I've found bug 3833. Then I just used its solution with the binary (the
demo already seems to be fixed now). So here is what I did:
cd ~/prey
SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa ./prey

The game runs perfectly now for me on AMD Sempron 3000+ (1.8 Ghz), 2 Gig
RAM and  a GeForce 7600 GT
with 1280x1024 and high Texture Quality. Awesome!