[postal2mac] Installer

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Sun Sep 19 17:33:17 EDT 2004

> A) you're referring to Packagemaker right?

I was referring to the installer itself, not the software used to build
packages. i.e. - what the end user sees.

Any GUI is ahead of loki_setup, which requires editing XML
files...albeit usually in simple ways. (change the product name, list
files to install...not very Mac-like, but not hard).

> B) what is your (and other game dev) opinion of Iceberg?
> http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14516

Haven't used it.

> C) So... Tiger's Packagemaker is basically done, and Apple refused to
> backport it.
> Did they refuse publicly (URL please?), or have they simply
> individually ignored/declined all such requests by devs?

They had a session on new installer features in Tiger at WWDC (which was
_packed_..."standing room only" would be an understatement). And several
people asked about this. They were very clear that the official decision
was not to put this in Software Update for older OSes.

This is arguably a good choice for Apple, but bad for third party
developers.

I wonder if this will change when they try and package up iLife
'05...but Apple has, in the past, been fairly stubborn about telling
people to upgrade if they want [cool new feature X].

> It's not much, but for publicity I might soon write up a news item at
> Macologist and submit it to MacBytes, where it may get picked up...
> therefore the more rant details, the better =)

I suspect I'm not the only one that feels this way about it.

--ryan.