[postal2mac] UT2004 OpenAL test (VoIP + Surround)

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Sat Sep 11 22:35:03 EDT 2004

Robert Uyeyama wrote:

> To the Postal2 list:
> Since things have been a little slow on the Postal side of late, here's
> a nice quick project for everyone.
>
> Ryan was kind enough to let out an alpha EXPERIMENTAL build of the new
> openal.dylib for UT2004, the first one which works with VoIP and
> SurroundSound with Apple's OpenAL, so that it could be tested.  This
> file replaces your existing openal.dylib in your System folder of your
> UT2004 .app bundle (control-click UT2004 --> show package contents).

While there's no VoIP in Postal2, this _should_ work with the game to
get you real surround sound on appropriate hardware...but I haven't
tried it.

Postal2 generates a lot of OpenAL buffers at startup, which crashed my
AL implementation until I made some fixes, so no promises this will work
there off the bat, either.

I _would_ like to ship Postal2 with Apple's OpenAL, though, so dropping
this openal.dylib in there and testing is appreciated.

--ryan.