[postal2mac] speed

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Sat May 29 23:02:19 EDT 2004

> i thinks the installer is  little slow, and not as so precise as the
> ut2003 installer.
> is it possible to accelerate this kind of installer?

Well, yes and no.

If the CD wasn't filled to the brim, we could use a weaker (but faster)
compression, like zlib. As it stands, we're using bzip2 for compression,
which is very good, but very slow.

I looked into this, and libbzip2 looks like a good candidate for
vectorization, but who has time to write Altivec code for someone else's
open source project?  :)

We're also discussing some add-on stuff for the Mac version that'll bump
us to two CDs, in which case we'll reduce compression, since the second
disc will give us a surplus of free space.

Also, someone noted that there's some sound files incorrectly installed
in the System directory. I haven't checked the size, but that could be a
lot of free'd up disc real estate.

UT2003 was two discs filled to the brim with bzip2 data. _That_ was a
slow install.  :)

> this game is great as on a g4cube i got 640RAM and a geforce2mx and for
> the moment i haven't found any bugs, but sometimes the game is little
> slow on my cube but it normal.
> i think the mimimal frequence to play is 700mhz.

Probably a reasonable estimate. Generally the people with a 700MHz
processor are gonna get beat up due to a lack of physical RAM, though.
This game really benefits noticibly in the jump from 256 to 512 megs of RAM.

--ryan.