[postal2mac] Tweaking the .ini (was Re: First Impressions)

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue May 25 04:34:19 EDT 2004

Robert Uyeyama wrote:
> 1)  Well of course there's [SDLDrv.SDLClient]
> FullscreenViewportX=640
> FullscreenViewportY=480
>
> Although upon first startup, the video wizard probably overrides the ini.

I'm pretty sure the .ini setting is respected in-game.

"setres WIDTHxHEIGHT" in the console works if you get desperate.

I think the UI in-game is a bunch of hardcoded values in UnrealScript,
which means I can't change them without breaking network compatibility.
Had the same problem with other games, like, say, ut2004. The difference
is that ut2004 had the luxury of letting me fill in Mac-specific
resolutions before the game shipped.

At least one licensee (America's Army) wrote code to query the OS (or
SDL, in this case) for supported resolutions instead of hardcoding a
list of pseudo-standard ones. I should nag Running With Scissors to do
something similiar for the upcoming expansion pack patch.

Actually, I should probably check the source before I spout off as an
authority on the subject any further.

--ryan.