[physfs] Probably physfs 2.x bug in zip decompression

Andrei Karas akaras at inbox.ru
Sat Jan 21 20:20:47 EST 2017

Hello,
I am developer of manaplus 2d mmorpg game client (the mana world).

Players from arch linux started reporting what manaplus not works anymore. And issue was tracked to zlib update (zlib 1.2.11).
In this version zlib authors add some sanity checks and some applications with bugs stopped working.
I created very small test program what can demonstrate issui with libphysfs 2.x and zlib 1.2.11

Here is example:  http://download.evolonline.org/manaplus/bug/bug.zip
Unpack zip file, and run ./run

I checked different physfs versions. Failed versions physfs package from debian, physfs from hg branch stable-2.0.
Working without bug hg branch default. But manaplus with asan checks enabled crashing with physfs from default branch (buffer overflow in physfs)

Link to zlib bug report:  https://github.com/madler/zlib/issues/206