[physfs] 64-bit osx cocoa

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at icculus.org
Sat Feb 19 01:47:26 EST 2011

> I just noticed that it is using the carbon framework, AFAIK carbon is
> not and will not be updater to 64 bit.

Carbon, as a framework, is available to 64-bit apps, but large portions
of it have been removed (almost all the GUI stuff, some other deprecated
APIs that have lived since Classic Mac OS)...but Carbon holds all the
CoreFoundation APIs and lots of other important system facilities, and
they haven't left.

PhysicsFS 2.0.2 definitely works in 64-bit:

     [icculus at caridad ~/projects/physfs/cmake-build]$ file test_physfs
     test_physfs: Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

     [icculus at caridad ~/projects/physfs/cmake-build]$ ./test_physfs

     test_physfs version 2.0.2.
      Compiled against PhysicsFS version 2.0.2,
      and linked against 2.0.2.

With a little effort, you can get the Mac builds of PhysicsFS to use the
Unix/POSIX code and no Carbon calls at all, if you really need to.

...wxWidgets, and thus that silly test app, uses Carbon for its GUI and
will absolutely fail to link a 64-bit app unless you use the bleeding
edge, Cocoa-based wxWidgets.