[physfs] PHYSFS_stat/HG & Numerical Errorcode

Indy Sams indy at driftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 18 16:19:25 EDT 2010

Hello Ryan,

      I like this idea with the enums, but I would make PHYSFS_getLastError() return real error messages though instead
      of strings for localization (even if you remove all the existing localizations and just use English). That way people can use the enums to localize if they want while still having meaningful error messages for those that just want to use _getLastError().

	For dynamically generated errors like zlib_error_string, you could just set an enum value like ERR_ZLIB_ERROR or more generically ERR_LIBRARY_ERROR or something like that and people can either show a generic message based on the enum or the dynamic error text with _getLastError(). For convenience all the errors codes that have dynamic errors could be placed at the end of the enum so programs can easily determine if a certain error code uses static or dynamic error text.

	Since all the strings already exist, this wouldn't add a lot of extra work I don't think while still giving people an easy way to display errors but giving them the option of localizing if they want in a standardized way.