[physfs] Adding Support for Custom Archives

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Wed Jul 28 21:51:57 EDT 2010

Hey list. My engine uses a free custom archive format (ebml based). I am
also using PhysFS garbed in C++ classes. I've looked through some of the
PhysFS source and, correct me if I am wrong, but there is no way to add
new archive formats at runtime (e.g. like plugins), but instead, they
have to be statically compiled into the libphysfs library.

There isn't anything wrong with that (my engine is free), but it makes
it more difficult to work with and distribute. For example, I must
debianize the physfs source, I need to learn mercury to patch it, I must
add the augmented libphysfs package into my apt repository, and I must
find a way to reconcile libebml (C++ based) with the source.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Ideally, all I'd need to do is
provide the necessary callbacks at runtime for whenever an archive of my
custom type is accessed.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred