[physfs] request for 'openReadWrite'

Bjørn Lindeijer bjorn at lindeijer.nl
Sat Apr 25 05:58:58 EDT 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 03:35, Matheus Izvekov <mizvekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 19:14 Fri 24 Apr     , Sean Ridenour wrote:
>> How would you handle this for files inside archives?
> It could handle it by copying the file to the writable directory, and
> continue as if the user had opened the file there in the first place.
> This would be the simplest solution I guess.

Since the library can't write to files inside archives at the moment
anyway, I don't think it's fair to expect such functionality when
opening a file for both reading and writing either.

The proposed solution would be better to implement in your application
rather than inside PhysFS. We do something similar with music files
currently, because SDL_mixer can only stream from physical files. So
if a music file is inside an archive, we temporarily extract it to the
writable directory.

Regards,
Bjørn