[physfs] 7z Archiver updated / LZMA SDK 4.57

Dennis Schridde devurandom at gmx.net
Wed Jan 23 12:57:10 EST 2008

Am Mittwoch, 23. Januar 2008 06:09:04 schrieb Ryan C. Gordon:
> >> current lzma directory with the official 4.57 sdk sources?
> >
> > - Replace physfs/lzma/ with lzma457/C/
> > - Move docs from lzma457/ to physfs/lzma/doc/
> > - Move lzma457/lzma.txt to physfs/lzma/LZMA-LICENSE.txt, add your header
> > and rip off the non-license part.
>
> I ended up changing this a little...the sdk is now in subversion as it
> existed in the original distribution, including pieces we don't use, and
>   nothing was moved around or changed...my reading of their license is
> that the sdk can be statically linked to closed-source software, as long
> as the source distribution remains unmodified, otherwise it has to abide
> by the LGPL's linking requirements. I've even moved my licensing
> comments out of lzma.txt and into trunk/LICENSE.txt.
>
> Since it's feasible for someone to use PhysicsFS in a close source
> application, it's for the best that we don't impose the additional LGPL
> restrictions by default by moving things around.
>
> (Yeah, yeah, I know, the intent of the license suggests they wouldn't
> care, but having spent the last few months fighting with lawyers about
> UnrealEngine3 middleware, you learn to ignore intent and only deal with
> the specific wording of licenses...)
I've been dealing a lot with the wording of licenses, attached readme's, and
the "intention of the copyright holder", too...
Can't say it was fun, and in the end is all up to the judges anyway, I
guess. ;) (As long as you don't have everything written from the owner...)

> At any rate, it should hopefully make upgrading to newer SDKs easier in
> the future anyhow.
>
> I've updated CMakeLists.txt and lzma.c to reflect the original SDK file
> layout. It builds here, but I haven't tested it; let me know if I broke
> something.
The conflicts were very minor, so I guess it's basically the same I had, which
means it should work. Will test it further later, after exam-time...

--Dennis