Problems compiling with MinGW on Windows

Tom Wilson t.wilson at
Wed Nov 17 10:13:34 EST 2004

I'm trying to build the physfs library using MinGW on Windows.  It's
proving to be really difficult though.

Isn't it just possible to have a *normal* Makefile that everyone can
tweak??  I think i'm probably going to have to just write one myself.

This is as far as I have got using the shell that comes with MinGW and
trying the configure script:

sh-2.04$ ./configure
checking build system type... c:\Program
C:/DOCUME~1/Tom/LOCALS~1/Temp/config-guess-1620: Directory not empty
./config.guess: unable to guess system type

This script, last modified 2002-10-21, has failed to recognize
the operating system you are using. It is advised that you
download the most up to date version of the config scripts from

If the version you run (./config.guess) is already up to date, please
send the following data and any information you think might be
pertinent to <config-patches at> in order to provide the needed
information to handle your system.

config.guess timestamp = 2002-10-21

uname -m = x86
uname -r = 0
uname -s = WindowsNT
uname -v = 5

/usr/bin/uname -p = unknown
/bin/uname -X     =

hostinfo               =
/bin/universe          =
/usr/bin/arch -k       =
/bin/arch              =
/usr/bin/oslevel       =
/usr/convex/getsysinfo =

configure: error: cannot guess build type; you must specify one
c:\Program Files\Unix\usr\local\wbin\sed.exe: -e expression #1, char 1:
Unknown command: ``C''

Thanks for any help

- Tom