compilation problems on Mac OS X

Martin Schaffner schaffner at gmx.li
Thu Dec 2 12:47:31 EST 2004

I've had some trouble compiling the CVS version of physfs (and also
1.0.0) on Mac OS X 10.3.5:

First off: why is there no Makefile.am, only Makfile.am.*automake? Is
it not possible to have a version-independant Makefile.am?

After having copied Makefile.am.newautomake to Makefile.am, I could
configure it, but "make" gave me:

/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcc  -g -O2 -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-D_THREAD_SAFE  -Wl,-framework -Wl,Carbon -Wl,-framework -Wl,IOKit
-no-undefined -o test_physfs  test_physfs.o ./libphysfs.la -lz
gcc -g -O2 -O2 -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -Wl,-framework -Wl,Carbon
-Wl,-framework -Wl,IOKit -o .libs/test_physfs test_physfs.o  -L./.libs
-lphysfs -lz
ld: Undefined symbols:
_add_history
_readline
make[2]: *** [test_physfs] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Adding -lreadline to the last libtool command succeeded in building
that file. From then on, everything was OK.

Unfortunately, I don't know automake well enough to be able to send a
patch for this.

Martin