[physfs] Time to stop painting...

Philip D. Bober wildfire1138 at mchsi.com
Sun Nov 2 13:26:54 EST 2003

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> - Mount points. More than one person has written to request this, and it
> makes sense for "sandboxing" mods...without this, downloadable content
> can possibly override an application's data files, or at least muddy the
> waters. If you can force a downloaded archive's files to be exposed at
> /mods/modname/[...] instead of /[...], then it's mucch more
> straightforward to sandbox a given mod. This also lets multiple mods
> which contain identical file names coexist, even if overriding your
> default content isn't an issue. This can be added to PhysFS as a new
> function, but without breaking backwards compatibility
> (PHYSFS_addToSearchPath() would effectively be mounting the archive at
> "/").
Oh yes. I have needed this for so long! that'd be great.

> - Someone suggested wrapping the win32 registry in PhysFS...a
> platform-independent way to read/write config variables
> (~/.appname/config.ini on Unix, etc). I don't know if this is going into
> PhysFS itself, but it'll at least end up in a small public-domain source
> file in the contrib directory that interested developers can just copy
> into their projects.
I recently wrote a wrapper for the win32 registry calls that uses an XML
config.
With a little work it could be converted to use the real registry too.
If I can find the code
I'll send it, maybe you can use it. (or some part of it)

Looks great, wish I had the time to help with the development.

Philip D. Bober
wildfire1138 at mchsi.com