Async reads...?

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Fri Jun 27 06:18:37 EDT 2003

No, I'm not asking for an async read API for PhysicsFS; I was
wondering if anyone had any thoughts on using PhysicsFS as the
underlying system for an async reading API.

PhysicsFS is already thread-safe, so I reckon that's enough for
a hand-rolled threaded async read API on top of any of the
physical formats it supports.

Can anyone see any gotchas, or has anyone already tried this?
I can't think of a way to approach this without using pre-emptive
threading, as much as I usually like to avoid threads (brrr, the
debugging!).  SDL's thread API looks like it's probably up to the
job of the cross-platform thread+mutex needs.

--Adam
--
Adam D. Moss   . ,,^^   adam at gimp.org   http://www.foxbox.org/   co:3
That gum you like is going to come back in style.