[physfs] physfs nonblocking bluesky.

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Thu Dec 18 15:00:23 EST 2003

Hi Ryan, thanks for the info.

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> O_NONBLOCK, to my knowledge, won't help with CD-ROM seek time, but I
> could be wrong. I thought it was more for things like sockets where
> there could be an infinite delay waiting on more data.

I always thought so too, but my man page says that
O_NONBLOCK to an open() will also cause the open()
itself not to block (but leaves you guessing about
how you detect whether the open failed -- I guess
a EBADF on subsequent read attempts).

> Physfs is thread safe (or at least, should be) as long as you don't try
> to do i/o to the same file handle from two threads at once

Hmm, okay.  I presume that's physical-filehandles rather than
physfs-filehandles.  In that case guess it could be hard to tell
from the application level whether any two given physfs-filehandles
happen to correspond to the same physical-filehandle and thus
potentially be problematic, though.

> Different files (and even different handles to the same file) can be
> accessed in parallel, though, and other stuff, like directory access on
> the same .zip file, etc, is safe from multiple threads.

Ah, I think that's all I needed to hear... good news.  So
the paragraph above was probably referring to physfs-filehandles
after all.  Which is great. :)

Thanks,
--Adam
--