[openbox] Exclude a window from Alt+Tabbing

Luciano ES lucmove at gmail.com
Sat May 20 23:46:46 EDT 2023

On Fri, 19 May 2023 14:47:21 -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

> I'm just curious. Why do you not want this particular window to show up
> via alt+tab? I'm wondering if I have a use case for this feature.
>
> Thanks,
>
> SteveT
************************

I have in fact two use cases for it.

1. I have a kind of clock application that just floats on the desktop
area. It tells the time and also does some clipboard manipulation in
the background. Since it's just supposed to float ghostly, it shouldn't
be included in the pager or taskbar.

The funny thing is I made that application and it already dodged the
pager and taskbar by itself, although it did come up in the pager
sometimes. The new setting on Openbox may have fixed that. Either way,
I had forgotten that could be done from my own application.

2. Then I used to have all my clipboard items displayed on the screen
with osdsh (on screen display) for half a second just to make sure I
have copied the right thing because I don't have a lot of trust in the
Linux clipboard. But osdsh is kind of broken because it can't display
accented characters such as é, ê, à, õ etc. If the clipboard content
began with one such character, the entire content would be invisible.

So I decided to replace osdsh with a quick and dirty mini window I
made in Tk. That introduced a new problem. Whenever I copied something
to the clipboard and quickly moved to Alt+Tab to another window to
paste the content, the clipboard mini window would get in the way and
make me Alt+Tab to it by mistake. But now with the new setting on
Openbox, it works perfectly.

--
Luciano ES