[openbox] 1) underscored initial letters at some menus 2) openbox site

u34 at net9.ga u34 at net9.ga
Sun May 14 06:48:22 EDT 2023

u34 at net9.ga wrote:

> Mikael Magnusson <mikachu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 5/14/23, u34 at net9.ga <u34 at net9.ga> wrote:
> > > 1) Suggestion: have underscored initial letters at some menus
> > > Since client-list-combined-menu, and root-menu, can be navigated by the
> > > first letter of their entries, isn't it customary to have that letter with
> > > an underscore?
> >
> > The underscore is only displayed if the first letter isn't the first
> > character of the title in the client list menus. If you want
> > underscores in the root-menu you can put them there yourself.
> > http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Menus#Specifying_menu_shortcuts
>
> 1) I currently have an entry such as
>
>     <menu id="apps-accessories-menu" label="Accessories">
>
> in menu.xml. It does get activated by pressing the `a' key. I tried to follow
> the URL you wrote, but couldn't made it displayed with an underscore under
> A. I did run openbox --reconfigure after each edit of the file. Must I
> fully restart openbox to see the underscore? Are there more possible
> misunderstandings on my part? I tried "_Accessories", "__Accessories",
> "__ Accessories", and perhaps few other combinations.
>
> 2) How can I get an underscore for client-list-combined-menu? Openbox
> dynamically writes the entries for whatever windows that are opened,
> doesn't it?

Rethinking, there are some misunderstanding, at least on my part. Does
http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Menus#Specifying_menu_shortcuts simply refers
to the letter that will be used as a shortcut, and how to have the
underscore character in the label? That does work as documented. I have
retested it. My prevoius tests were too hastey because I was looking for
another feature. Initialy, I did not mean to suggest to add a plain
underscore character to the label string. I did try to suggest the equivalent
of HTML <u> Tag. https://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_u.asp. That is, adding
a bar, with the width of a single character, under the letter that will be
used as a shortcut. That looks to me rather customary. For example, in
Firefox menus.