[openbox] Key Chain Broken by Multiple Keyboards

admin at nosuck.org admin at nosuck.org
Thu Jun 22 15:59:47 EDT 2023

Hello, all.  I recently started using two keyboards simultaneously, one for
my left hand and another for my right.  My hands are much more comfortable
now, and I recommend split keyboards to you, too, if you happen to have two
hands.

However, many Openbox binding chains, such as “W-a p” below, suddenly fail
to execute:

> <keybind key="W-a">
> </keybind>

The “W-a x” binding executes without issue.

This seems to happen because “p” is on the right-hand keyboard, while “W-”
(Super_L), “a”, and “x” are all on the left-hand keyboard.  Is this a known
issue?  Can you suggest any workarounds, please?  I miss my binding chains.
They were awfully convenient.

Also, chains that start with, say, “W-h” instead of “W-a” (with “h” on the
right-hand keyboard) are never even initiated.  A non-chained “W-h” binding,
meanwhile, executes without issue--so the problem seems specific to chains.

Thank you.