[openbox] How do I set up openbox?

jkinney23 at yahoo.ca jkinney23 at yahoo.ca
Sun Jun 4 07:11:33 EDT 2023

 > > I'm not sure what you mean by "set up".

> I mean have it run when I start the box.  Yesterday I finally did using Debian
> alternatives, but it's still not clear how alternatives came into the play.

The settings you are looking for are in /etc/slim.conf. Instructions for autologin
and such are documented in the file.

> By a mix of recollection and deduction, I think I what I did on my PC was to
> uninstall all gnome stuff after installing openbox, which must have triggered
> it as the only alternative.

I was going to suggest remove XFCE, and you will get the same effect ;)

> On the PC, rather than using startx, I have a graphic session-manager start up
> in the beginning.  I never chose between slim and lightdm; they happen.

slim is the default in Devuan. The original Crunchbang used slim as it's
display manager / login manager as well. You don't need lightdm, but either
will be equivalent and handles starting up openbox for you at login. Slim
(or lightdm) *should* remember the last session that you pick at login, but
if you want openbox to be the default xsession you can set it with:

# update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

Hope that helps!

Jason