[openbox] A completely n00b question regarding the dirsmenu script...

Alan Ansell aansell at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 7 09:01:25 EDT 2021

Hi all, just subbed to ask this very basic question:

I'm building myself an openbox DE from the ground up. I've got basic functions working, but very interested in the "dirsmenu" script particularly if I can wangle it into a taskbar.

I've got as far as saving the code for openbox:dirsmenu into a .pl file somewhere inside my ~/.config/openbox/* but now I don't know how to use it.

I tried a few things in cmd like "perl dirsmenu.pl" (I'm running Gentoo Linux) but nothing strikes me as obvious.

Can someone please help me get this excellent menu item functioning?

Many thanks

*alan ansell painting
Itzac
France*

**We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence is therefore not an act but a habit.
  Aristotle**