[openbox] Problem with maximised windows using multiple displays and tint2 panel

Dan MacDonald allcoms at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 04:32:37 EST 2018

Hi Anthony

Thanks to your response I can now define my problem better. If I log
into OB without my external display connected, OB correctly detects my
workarea on my 1080 display as such:

$ xprop -root | grep _NET_WORKAREA\(
_NET_WORKAREA(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 1920, 1050, 0, 0, 1920, 1050, 0, 0,
1920, 1050, 0, 0, 1920, 1050

I want to retain those values when I activate my 4K display so that
window maximising works as I want but after running xrandr to activate
my external display, those values (for my 1080 display) get changed:

$ xprop -root | grep _NET_WORKAREA\(
_NET_WORKAREA(CARDINAL) = 0, 0, 5760, 1080, 0, 0, 5760, 1080, 0, 0,
5760, 1080, 0, 0, 5760, 1080

So it seems OB gets the correct horizontal value for my 1080 display
but doesn't subtract the pixels used by tint2 (as it does when I only
have one display connected) but it totally misses the mark for the
vertical dimension and just uses the max value of the larger display.