[openbox] switch to a window and then switch back

TT turkuting at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 02:13:29 EDT 2016

On 26/09/16 06:23, Mikael Magnusson wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 25, 2016 at 8:02 PM, Łukasz Grabowski <graboluk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Sep 2016 08:27:28 -0700
>> Ian Zimmerman <itz at primate.net> wrote:

>>> I learned to do all window switching in two ways: with the Windows
>>> menu, or with the directional focus keybindings.  This almost always
>>> gets me to the target window in 3 keystrokes, in a few cases I may
>>> need 4.
>> Good it works for you but for my use cases this is just not quick
>> enough (say I work in a latex editor, I want to very quickly switch to
>> firefox to look up an obscure amstex environment syntax, then go back).
>> When there are just two windows and both are on the same desktop then
>> the standard alt+tab is obviously quick enough, but usually I'd have at
>> least 3 windows (say pdf viewer with a compiled pdf) and then having a
>> chord for switching to firefox is the way to go imo.
> If you keep firefox on another virtual desktop, then using the go to
> desktop action with a specific number is very easy, or the one that
> goes to the last visited desktop.

+1 for a simple solution that is pretty close to op's requirements,
requires minimal habit changing and Just Works with Openbox.

One problem remains though: using the same keybind to *switch back *to
where one came from.

Lukasz: I am pretty sure that your particular scenario would require a
script, in other words openbox cannot do it as such.

but then i'm also not so familiar with all openbox's (newer) features;
which brings up an important question: which openbox version are you using?

also it would be nice to see how you achieve what you have atm!