[openbox] tiling with openbox

Anthony Thyssen a.thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Sun Sep 25 20:17:09 EDT 2016

The script is a nice idea.

I myself don't like tiling for general use, except for my initial XTerm
windows (I'm old fasioned.  never likes the newer terminal windows)

To tile that windows I use a script that works out the font size, borders,
spacing, spacing for titles, etc and then outputs environment variables
giving the size and positions needed to place 3 X term windows.   On my
current 1920x1080 display this results in the variables..

FONT=-misc-fixed-medium-r-*-*-15-*-75-75-c-90-iso10646-1
BFONT=-misc-fixed-bold-r-*-*-15-*-75-75-c-90-iso10646-1
XTERMGEOM_L=80x62+76+85
XTERMGEOM_1=80x45+76+85
XTERMGEOM_2=80x14+76+801
XTERMGEOM_R=80x62+845+85

That is it has selected a 15 point font which is added to my X resources,
and from that font size it calculates 4 XTerm geometry placements (always
80 columns) for tiling on my display on startup.

'L' is a fill left window,  or you can use 2 smaller windows '1' and '2'
 the later xterm meant to be a 'type quick command' window.  The 'R' xterm
is a full size window on the right.

The script is complex and was built over a long period of 20 years, as
display sizes changed, and I shifted to/from dual displays.