[openbox] How to troubleshoot openbox lock-up

Mikael Magnusson mikachu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 17:58:51 EDT 2016

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 9:28 PM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2016-10-26, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Several times a day, openbox locks up on me.
>
> I've finally been able to reliably reproduce this -- and I can now
> also make it recover without killing anything.
>
> The openbox on screen :0.0 will always lock up when I do this:
>
>  1) Close all "normal" windows on screen :0.0 (leaving two hidden
>     tint2 panels and one small pinned, undecorated, stay-on-top
>     window).
>
>  2) Close any "normal" window on screen :0.1 (it doesn't matter if or
>     how many windows were open on :0.1).
>
> The openbox instance running on :0.0 will lock up every time, burning
> 50% CPU while the X server burns 100% CPU.
>
> Here's the weird part: it always recovers if I move the mouse pointer
> from screen :0.1 through :0.0 onto :0.2.  (Screen :0.0 is in the
> center with :0.1 on the left and :0.2 on the right.)  If I right-click
> on :0.0 before moving the mouse pointer onto :0.2, the root window
> menu will show up on :0.0 as soon as the mouse pointer moves into :0.2.
>
> At times I've managed to start an application on :0.0 and then lock up
> that openbox instance before the application window appears.  When
> that happens, the application window will later appear on :0.0 as soon
> as the mouse pointer is moved to :0.2.

If you could recompile openbox with debug symbols and then attach with
gdb when it's in this loop, and see what part of the code it's in,
maybe look at some of the loop conditionals etc, that would be pretty
helpful. Also, what version of openbox is this?

--
Mikael Magnusson