[openbox] How to troubleshoot openbox lock-up

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:28:31 EDT 2016

On 2016-10-26, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> Several times a day, openbox locks up on me.

I've finally been able to reliably reproduce this -- and I can now
also make it recover without killing anything.

The openbox on screen :0.0 will always lock up when I do this:

 1) Close all "normal" windows on screen :0.0 (leaving two hidden
    tint2 panels and one small pinned, undecorated, stay-on-top
    window).

 2) Close any "normal" window on screen :0.1 (it doesn't matter if or
    how many windows were open on :0.1).

The openbox instance running on :0.0 will lock up every time, burning
50% CPU while the X server burns 100% CPU.

Here's the weird part: it always recovers if I move the mouse pointer
from screen :0.1 through :0.0 onto :0.2.  (Screen :0.0 is in the
center with :0.1 on the left and :0.2 on the right.)  If I right-click
on :0.0 before moving the mouse pointer onto :0.2, the root window
menu will show up on :0.0 as soon as the mouse pointer moves into :0.2.

At times I've managed to start an application on :0.0 and then lock up
that openbox instance before the application window appears.  When
that happens, the application window will later appear on :0.0 as soon
as the mouse pointer is moved to :0.2.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Hello.  Just walk
                                  at               along and try NOT to think