[openbox] Openbox context menu not working

Johan Vromans jvromans at squirrel.nl
Mon Mar 28 13:30:11 EDT 2016

On Mon, 28 Mar 2016 18:14:10 +0100
Piscium <groknok at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28 March 2016 at 15:18, Johan Vromans <jvromans at squirrel.nl> wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 22:45:40 +0100 Piscium <groknok at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>   On 2016-03-27 20:39 +0100, Piscium wrote:
> >>   If you use programs
> >>   that link to GNOME libraries, it's likely that some GNOME daemons get
> >>   started behind your back.  That is just the way of the GNOME :-(
> >
> > Exactly. And one of these programs sometimes (cron? yum?)
> > sets/resets/overrides something.
> >
> > Similarly: Sometimes I find that my Xdefaults (yes, I'm old
> > fashioned) have been reset so I need to load them again.
> >
> >> but wouldn't be surprised if it's yet another gnome program stealing
> >> events.
> >
> > This what I expects that happens.
> >
> >> In any case, as I said before the issue manifests after an apparently
> >> random time after login, so there could be an hidden obscure bug
> >> somewhere.
> >
> > I'm afraid it's not a bug, but defined though (for us) unwanted
> > behaviour.
> >
> > The problem remains to find out what tool is resetting or stealing
> > things.
> >
> > Right now I have a root window that doesn't any longer respond to mouse
> > clicks. There must be a way to find out who is stealing the events...
>
> Well, the reason I believe it is a bug is because I cannot find a
> correlation between the issue manifesting and something else, such as
> an action of mine.
>
> Dana suggested using "xwininfo" however I got exactly the same result
> when the issue is manifesting or not, so no information was gained. I
> then started looking at other debugging commands, and in my case I get
> different results with the xev command depending on if the issue is
> manifesting or not.
>
> I am still exploring what is the best set of arguments to xev (to
> filter out some events of no usefulness), but this is my best
> suggestion in case you want to try it with the issue manifesting and
> not and compare (please remove the quotes that delimit the command):
> "xev -root -event expose -event visibility -event structure -event
> substructure -event focus -event property -event owner_grab_button
> -event randr -event button"
>
> The bug could be in X, who knows. For example, with the issue _not_
> manifesting I get this when I right click on the desktop:
>
> $ xev -root -event expose -event visibility -event structure -event
> substructure -event focus -event property -event owner_grab_button
> -event randr -event button
>
> CreateNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x27f,
>     parent 0x27f, window 0x81314b, (0,0), width 1, height 1
> border_width 0, override NO
>
> ConfigureNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x27f,
>     event 0x27f, window 0x81314b, (0,0), width 1, height 1,
>     border_width 1, above 0x2a2326e, override NO
>
> ConfigureNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x27f,
>     event 0x27f, window 0x81314b, (0,0), width 1, height 1,
> [...]

This is what I get with the issue manifesting (root window, mouse clicks 1
2 and 3):

PropertyNotify event, serial 18, synthetic NO, window 0x190,
    atom 0x15a (_NET_WM_USER_TIME), time 784108890, state PropertyNewValue

PropertyNotify event, serial 19, synthetic NO, window 0x190,
    atom 0x15a (_NET_WM_USER_TIME), time 784112026, state PropertyNewValue

PropertyNotify event, serial 19, synthetic NO, window 0x190,
    atom 0x15a (_NET_WM_USER_TIME), time 784113440, state PropertyNewValue

PropertyNotify event, serial 19, synthetic NO, window 0x190,
    atom 0x19d (_NET_CLIENT_LIST_STACKING), time 784115242, state
    PropertyNewValue

(The latter is prbably the leaving of the root window).

-- Johan