[openbox] Can the right-hand side monitor be primary and the one on left-hand side secondary?

Luciano ES lucmove at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 21:27:20 EDT 2016

Hi.

I've struggled with this many times. I always give up then try again then give up again... Never been able to pull it off.

I have two monitors, which I shall refer to as M1 and M2.

M1 is large and it's my main monitor. It sits right in front of me. This is where I want to see:
* the LX Panel
* my Desktop icons (managed by pcmanfm)
* all new windows; no exceptions
* the Alt-Tab window pager
* a certain wallpaper, if possible

On M2, I only want to see windows that I intentionally drag into it. Nothing else. No exceptions.

M2 is smaller and it sits beside M1, to the left. It really has to be on the left. There is no room on my desk to place it on the right side. I can't just move M1 to the left to make room for M2, because my desk is not a regular shape, it looks like an L turned 90 degrees clockwise, so I can't move my chair to... OK, it doesn't matter. M2 has to be on the left. Like this:

M2 <--> M1

My problem is that whenever I configure Openbox or xrandr/arandr for that arrangement, M2 immediately becomes the main monitor, in charge of all the things I said I wanted to see in M1. I don't want that.

M2 behaves like a perfect secondary monitor when I configure it to sit on the right. I can do that, but then dragging Windows across monitors becomes counterintuitive. I have to drag a window to the right and... see it pop up on the left. I just can't get used to it, I keep moving the mouse pointer into the wrong places all the time.

I've found that everything also works hunky-dory if I configure M2 to be on the top. I actually considered placing some kind of tall support behind M1 so that M2 could be placed on top of it, but honestly, that's just out of desperation. I don't want M2 on top of M1. I want it to sit on the left, and make Openbox understand that it's a secondary monitor that sits on the left.

Is that possible? How?

TIA

--
Luciano ES