[openbox] high DPI screens with openbox

TT turkuting at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 23:14:54 EST 2016

On 02/09/2016 01:12 PM, Jim Rees wrote:
> Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
>
>    I have a new Dell XPS 15" laptop with 3840x2160 resolution.
>
>    In openbox is there a way/tool to scale up the UI like in gnome so the
>    interface appears with a "normal" size while keeping native resolution?
>
> The font sizes are all in points, so if you have correctly configured your X
> server and fontconfig to know what dpi the screen is, the text should appear
> in "normal" size. At least that's the theory. I'm not sure how the icons
> work.
in other words, if you set dpi accordingly in your X server's settings,
it should work.
something like this:

#!/bin/bash

XFT_SETTINGS="
Xft.antialias:  1
Xft.autohint:   0
Xft.dpi:        96 <== you need a different value here.
Xft.hinting:    1
Xft.hintstyle:  hintfull
Xft.lcdfilter:  lcddefault
Xft.rgba:       rgb
"

echo "$XFT_SETTINGS" | xrdb -merge > /dev/null 2>&1

save it, make executable and add to your autostart.