[openbox] multiple accours

Ian Zimmerman itz at buug.org
Fri Sep 18 19:25:44 EDT 2015

On 2015-09-18 12:28 -0700, Ian Zimmerman wrote:

> > I run Openbox on my laptop and I am happy with it. My config files
> > are in ~/.config/openbox/ and I start openbox using the startx utility
> > My .xinitrc file contains the line
> > exec openbox-session
> >
> > For some reason I'd like to start openbox on another display with
> >
> > startx /bin/openbox-session -- :1
> >
> > but with different config files or directory. I have read the
> > openbox-session man page and it says the openbox-session command does
> > not take any command line arguments. Is there a way to give openbox a
> > path to the config files I want to use ?
>
> Set the XDG_CONFIG_HOME environment variable to something else than $HOME.

That should really be $HOME/.config.  So, like this:

mkdir -p ~/.alternate-config/openbox

vi ~/.alternate-config/openbox/rc.xml

XDG_CONFIG_HOME=~/.alternate-config startx /bin/openbox-session -- :1

One thing about this is that all programs you start in the session will
inherit the environment, so programs that follow the XDG spec will look
for their config files under the new directory.  You can address it by
making symlinks from ~/.alternate-config to the corresponding files and
directories under ~/.config (except the openbox one, of course).