[openbox] Move all windows to other desktop

Mikael Magnusson mikachu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 03:51:05 EDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 8:32 AM, Mathias Dufresne
<mathias.dufresne at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you a lot for that :)

>> You can add a desktop in the middle using "current".
>> http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Actions#AddDesktop
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 6:47 AM, Mathias Dufresne
>> <mathias.dufresne at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Is it possible, or would it be possible, to move all windows to another
>>> desktop, keeping windows order, position and size?
>>>
>>> This would be very nice on heavy loaded and organized desktops. For now a
>>> new desktop can be added as last desktop.
>>>
>>> With 4 desktop, the new one become n°5. If user desire was to have a 2'
>>> desktop to expand work done on second desktop, all windows from n°4 have to
>>> be moved to 5 then all windows from 3 have to be moved to 4.
>>>
>>> For that specific case we could simply (perhaps it is not simple to code
>>> it, I have no idea ;) add a commands to:
>>> - add new desktop between 1 & 2
>>> - add new desktop between 2 & 3
>>> etc...
>>>
>>> But for the case you opened too much windows on one desktop then decide
>>> that desktop is not the right one, you have to move them manually...

You can use something like the following.

<action name="ForEach">
  <desktop>current</desktop>
  <then>
    <action name="SendToDesktop">
      <to>last</to>
    </action>
  </then>
</action>

And it will send all windows on the current desktop to the last
desktop you were on (make sure 'go to desktop [last]' gets you to
where you want before you press this binding.) If you send them to a
desktop that has other windows on it, you'll have to separate them
manually. There is a slight timeout so that you can use next/previous
desktop without setting "the last desktop" to any of the intermediate
ones.

--
Mikael Magnusson