[openbox] Minimal time between clicks to double click

Mikael Magnusson mikachu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 11:09:22 EST 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 11:39 AM, Paul G <paulg at perforge.net> wrote:
> Mathias,
>
> What you are experiencing is called 'bouncing'. The switch for that
> particular button is either worn out or dirty and is making intermittent
> contact, so what appears like a [Press][Release] to you is actually sent as
> [Press][Release][Press][Release]...[Press][Release]. Double clicks instead
> of single clicks are just one part of the problem, interrupted dragging and
> selection of text will be happening as well under these circumstances, so
> simply introducing the setting you ask for is not going to be sufficient to
> render your mouse fully usable again.

[...]
> I am unsure whether debouncing is possible to implement cleanly and
> comprehensively in a window manager, quite apart from it being 3 steps down
> the chain from where it ought to be implemented, but I'm not an expert on X
> or window managers ;)

Implementing something in openbox would only "fix" the issue in
openbox, eg clicking on window decorations. Clicking inside any window
would still get the double bounce event. You could in theory grab all
mouse events inside windows too and send fake events after fixing them
up, but we don't do that, and we cannot do it for programs that grab
the mouse (games, gtk menus, etc).

--
Mikael Magnusson