[openbox] Persisting a desktop terminal window across ToggleShowDesktop with xdotool - interesting failure mode

Dana Jansens danakj at orodu.net
Sun Mar 1 21:12:27 EST 2015

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Paul G <paulg at perforge.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 11:52 AM, Dana Jansens <danakj at orodu.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 3:31 AM, Paul G <paulg at perforge.net> wrote:
>>
>>> To save the other 0.2 people who might try to do this in future several
>>> hours/days of their lives, I'll summarize: don't bother with a kludge and
>>> do it properly, namely by patching whatever it is you're trying to
>>> desktopify.
>>>
>>> Attempting to automatically re-map the window with xdotool will work in
>>> the sense that it'll remap it, you can then unhide it with wmctrl but
>>> you're still going to end up with it iconified unless/until you open
>>> another window (beforehand/). This is why it was working from the shell and
>>> not from the openbox config. I'm still curious to know why that is.
>>>
>>> Setting the WINDOW_TYPE_DESKTOP hint after the window is first mapped
>>> does not work. Not sure exactly why that is either, but it's contrary to
>>> spec, so no surprise there. I did not manage to find a way to set it before
>>> the window gets mapped in externally, although I've tried.
>>>
>>> In the end, I ended up doing what in hindsight I should've done earlier
>>> - patching tilda itself.
>>>
>>> Would a patch for being able to do it from an application config block
>>> in openbox make it in? If so, I might have a go as I think that's a more
>>> universal solution.
>>>

>> I think that would be a nice feature. I've seen people struggle with this
>> before for other apps.
>>

> What branch/tag should I be looking at? Master seems quite stale and I
> don't know what the status of your in-dev stuff is. The docs reference a
> 3.6 release, but I can't see a tag for it in your git repo.

Master seems fine to work off of. I have a "work" branch with some stuff on
it, but I'd pull it onto master anyways, so that should be the right place.

3.6 would be off master if we make a tarball for it. :)

> Wrt implementation, any non-obvious things I should be aware of (without
> making your response isometric with implementing it yourself ;) keeping in
> mind that I and X have a nodding acquaintance only.

You shouldn't need to touch any X11 code. It's all in config.c and client.c
probably. Just look how other per-window settings are done and mimic.